Not the Usual Sweet Potato Casserole
If you’re used to sweet potato casserole with mini marshmallows, this isn’t it! We use date paste to give ours extra flavor as well as a little sweetness, and we top it all off with a layer of crunchy pecans and oats.
For the Filling:
- 2½ lbs. sweet potatoes
- coconut oil, butter or olive oil spray
- ¼ cup coconut milk (or other milk)
- ¼ cup DateME Date Paste
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 egg
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½-1 tsp. cinnamon
For the Topping:
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp. salted butter, cold and cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Halve the sweet potatoes and rub them with a little coconut oil, butter, or olive oil. Place them on a parchment-covered sheet pan cut-side down. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until very soft.
- Scoop the flesh out of the sweet potato skins and place in a bowl along with the butter and date paste. Mash together until the butter and date paste melt and blend in.
- Add the coconut milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Once the mixture has cooled slightly, whisk in the egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, and sugar. Add the chunks of butter and use the back of a fork to work it into the flour mixture. Once a crumbly mixture forms, add the chopped pecans.
- Spoon the sweet potatoes into a small greased baking dish and use a spatula to make the top smooth and flat. Crumble the topping mixture onto the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Share This Recipe: