Beef & Sweet Potato Chili
Beef and Sweet Potato Chili is the perfect dinner for a cold winter night. Flavorful with spices and date paste, this is also a good dish to make for a crowd. It can be lightened up by using ground turkey or chicken instead of the beef.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ Tbsp. cumin
- ½ Tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 cup coffee
- 1½ Tbsp. DateME Date Paste
- 28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cubed (try orange and white sweet potatoes for more variation)
- ¼-½ tsp. red chili flakes
- cilantro, to garnish
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and pepper. Stir occasionally until softened.
- Add the garlic and stir until just fragrant. Add the ground beef. Break the beef up with a spoon or spatula and stir so it is combined with the onion and pepper.
- Add the salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and oregano as the meat browns.
- Crush the tomatoes in the can and pour them into the pot. Add the coffee and date paste. Stir everything together and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes and chili flakes (add chili flakes to taste).
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and give the chili a stir. Cover the pot and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir the chili again, ensuring that it is not browning too much on the bottom. Continue to simmer for another 10-15 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender and the chili has reached the desired thickness, remove the chili from the heat and season to taste. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Share This Recipe: