Chocolate Date Doughnuts with Vanilla Frosting
Like Homer Simpson, we love a good doughnut! This one is gluten free and gets its sweetness from DateME date paste. Its moist texture comes from unsweetened applesauce. For the finishing touch, top the doughnuts with frosting made using coconut butter and coconut cream.
For the Doughnuts:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. DateMe Date Paste
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg (room temp.)
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp. almond flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 3½ Tbsp. cocoa powder
For the Frosting:
- 1 Tbsp. coconut butter
- 1½ Tbsp. DateMe Date Paste
- 2 Tbsp. coconut cream
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Sprinkles of choice
Yield: 12 mini doughnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt the butter and date paste together in the microwave for a few seconds until they are just soft enough to mix together. Mix well with a fork so there are no lumps. Add the vanilla extract, applesauce, and egg and mix.
- In a bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, and cocoa powder.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together until well combined.
- Lightly grease a mini muffin pan (I like the silicone ones) with a little butter. Scoop the batter into a piping bag (or use a ziploc bag with a corner cut off). Pipe the batter into a round doughnut shape so the wells are about ⅔ of the way full. This recipe should yield about 12 mini doughnuts.
- Bake at 375°F for 12-14 minutes until the doughnuts are fully cooked but still springy. Remove from the oven and allow to fully cool.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, make the frosting. Melt the date paste and coconut butter together in the microwave for a few seconds until the date paste is soft and pliable. Mix well and add in the coconut cream and vanilla extract. Once well combined, set aside until doughnuts are cooled.
- Carefully dip the doughnuts into the frosting so that the tops of the doughnuts are just covered. Use a small spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth out the frosting. Top the doughnuts with sprinkles of your choice or cocoa powder.
Share This Recipe: