Date Filled Cookies with Cinnamon & Cardamom
Instead of buying that well-known cookie we all know and love, how about making your own version? Our date filled cookies have a spicy twist with the addition of cinnamon, cardamom, and sesame. They are so delicious no one will ever guess they are gluten-free and have no added sugar.
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 5 Tbsp. butter, melted (includes extra to brush on cookies)
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds + more for topping
For the Filling:
- 10 Tbsp. DateME Date Paste, softened
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For the dough, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, oil, milk, almond extract, and egg whites.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Fold in the sesame seeds. Cover and chill dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, combine the date paste, melted butter, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Take the dough from the fridge. On a piece of parchment paper, form the dough into a rectangle about 3.5” wide and between ¼”-½” thick.
- Form the date paste into a long cylinder and place it down the center of the dough.
- Carefully roll the parchment to fold the dough over the date paste to form a log. Be sure to tuck the dough completely over the filling.
- Cut the log into 15-18 pieces. Brush the top of each piece of cookie with a little melted butter and sprinkle with additional sesame seeds.
- Bake the cookies on a parchment covered sheet pan for 15-18 minutes or until the undersides are slightly browned. Allow the cookies to fully cool before enjoying.
Share This Recipe: