The Best Paleo Ma'mool Date Cookies
One of our favorite date related recipes is for Ma’mool. It melts in your mouth and is buttery, stuffed with cardamom flavored date paste, and covered in a thick layer of powdered sugar! Along with some Arabic coffee, Ma’mool is the perfect ending to a long day. Having “just one” is impossible, as we guarantee you will love this cookie.
We decided to make a healthier version of Ma’mool. We found a great paleo sugar cookie recipe and revised it so that it is also gluten free. Trust us, you won’t notice the difference!
For the Cookie:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. fine salt
- 2¼ cups blanched almond flour (slightly pack it down when you measure it)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour (and a bit more as needed for your hands when rolling out the cookies)
For the Filling:
- ~ ½ cup of DateME Date Paste
- crushed cardamom (optional)
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter, coconut oil, and coconut sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and almond extract, mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda, salt, almond flour, coconut flour, and tapioca flour.
- With the mixer running on low, add the flour mixture to the creamed ingredients 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Form the dough into a ball with your hands and place on a piece of plastic wrap. Form the dough into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- With a spoon or cookie dough scooper, scoop the dough into approximately 1.5 inch balls.
- Place on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- With your finger, press into the dough balls, making a little dent.
- With a teaspoon, dollop your desired amount of date paste into each cookie ball, being mindful to work quickly (make about 6 at a time since the dough gets soft fairly quickly).
- Sprinkle each one with some crushed cardamom and roll into a ball, making sure the date paste is completely covered.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allowing the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack..
Recipe adapted from Meaningful Eats.
Share This Recipe: