Paleo Date Filled Pop Tarts
A lot of people grew up eating pop tarts, but then as they got older, they realized that maybe they are not the best thing to put into our bodies first thing in the morning. We came up with a much healthier version, filled with DateME date paste. It follows Paleo guidelines and is gluten free. If you use palm shortening in the dough and omit the frosting, it is also vegan and dairy free.
For the Dough:
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 4 Tbsp. palm shortening (or substitute butter or ghee)
- 1½ Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1-2 tsp. water
For the Filling:
- ¼ cup DateME Date Paste
- ¼ tsp. chai spice (optional)
For the Frosting/Topping:
- ½ Tbsp. ghee or butter
- 2½ Tbsp. coconut milk
- ½ Tbsp. DateME Date Paste
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, coconut sugar and salt. Spoon in the palm shortening and mix together with the back of a fork or a pastry cutter until the shortening is worked through the flours.
- Whisk 1 egg and mix it in with the dough using a spoon or your hands. Once combined, form the dough into a ball and place it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll it flat and fairly thin (about ⅛” thick), and then cut off the edges to form a large rectangle. Slice the rectangle into 4 smaller rectangles.
- If using chai spice, add it to the date paste and mix together. Separate the paste into two sections and slightly flatten each with your hands so it is a little smaller than the rectangles. Place one of the pieces of date paste onto one section of dough and then carefully cover with another rectangle of dough. Repeat with the remaining paste and dough so that you have two pop tarts in total.
- Wet your fingers with a little water to close the gaps between the two sandwiched pieces of dough. Use the back of a fork to press indents into the edges of the pop tarts.
- Whisk an egg white in a small bowl with 1-2 tsp. water. Brush the tops and sides with the egg wash and sprinkle with a little coconut sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the pop tarts start to turn golden brown. Remove pop tarts from the oven.
- While the pop tarts are cooling, heat the butter or ghee in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the date paste, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Whisk until the paste is melted and the mixture begins to bubble. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue stirring until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and spread on top of the pop tarts.
Share This Recipe: