Chocolate & Date Cake with Mixed Berries & Buttercream Frosting
This chocolate and date cake is just right for a special occasion. The buttercream frosting is the perfect amount of decadent, and the berry garnish makes for a beautiful presentation.
For the Cake:
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter
- ¾ cup DateME Date Paste
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 5 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp. rice flour
- 2 Tbsp. tapioca flour
- 1¼ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp. coconut milk
strawberries, raspberries, cherries, chocolate flakes
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Add the butter, date paste, and almond butter to a large, microwave safe bowl. Heat slightly in the microwave just so ingredients are pliable. Mix together.
- Add the coconut milk and vanilla extract. Mix to form a batter.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Once the batter has cooled, mix in the eggs until everything is well combined.
- In another bowl, sift the cocoa powder to prevent lumps, then add the almond flour, coconut sugar, rice flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix together.
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients into the batter and mix until well combined but not overmixed.
- Grease two 8” square pans or three 5” circular pans with a little butter. Pour equal amounts of batter into each pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the pan. Allow to fully cool before proceeding to the next step.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter and vanilla extract together.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and use a whisk or hand mixer to mix until all of the powdered sugar has been added.
- Add the coconut milk 1 teaspoon at a time until the frosting reaches the desired texture.
- To assemble the cake, place the first layer on your cake stand and lightly frost the top. Press the second layer of cake down on top of the first layer and again, lightly frost the top. Repeat if you have a third layer.
- Using a spatula, add frosting in small amounts to the side of the cake while turning the stand to smooth out the frosting. Use the remaining frosting on the top of the cake and cover any areas that are too thinly frosted.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes, then top the cake with your favorite berries, chocolate shavings, or whatever other toppings you’d like!
Share This Recipe: