Date Paste Sweetened Ketchup
Instead of using sugar, our unique ketchup recipe uses date paste for sweetening. Add cayenne pepper if you prefer a spicier version.
- ½ cup DateME Date Paste
- 1 – 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 – 14 oz. can diced tomatoes (fire roasted for extra flavor)
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. grated or minced garlic
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne powder (less if not a fan of heat)
Yield: 3 cups
- Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook on medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes, until the date paste is melted and the ingredients blend together.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the mixture to a blender or Vitamix and blend until smooth. (Beware, the mixture is hot! Place a towel over the top and hold so top doesn’t pop off).
- Allow to cool. Store in mason jars or something similar in the refrigerator. Good for up to three weeks.
Recipe is adapted for use by Whole30 dieters.
Share This Recipe: