Chocolate Pecan Pie
Pecan pie is definitely a favorite among pie lovers, but we up the ante with our chocolate pecan pie recipe. The filling is made with pecans, date paste, chocolate, and a touch of maple syrup. We use gluten-free flour for ours, but you can use any flour of your choice.
For the Crust:
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour blend
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup DateME Date Paste
- 5-6 Tbsp. ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 1½ cups DateME Date Paste
- ½ cup coconut milk/milk
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 5 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 70g dark chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1-1½ cups whole pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- To make the crust, combine the flour, almond flour, sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Drop small spoonfuls of the date paste into the flour mixture. Add the butter pieces. Use a pastry blender or a fork to work the date paste and butter into the flour until a crumbly dough forms.
- Add the cold water one tablespoon at a time, mixing with the pastry blender or fork until the dough comes together. If the dough looks too dry, add an additional tablespoon of water.
- Roll the dough into a ball. Press the dough into a lightly greased tart pan, taking your time to spread the dough out evenly.
- Prick a few holes into the bottom of the crust with a fork. Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Once it begins melting, add the date paste, coconut milk, and maple syrup. Stir until the ingredients are well mixed. Add the dark chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted, add the cocoa powder and stir. Remove the pot from the heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Temper them by very slowly pouring in a spoonful or two of the date filling while whisking. This will keep the eggs from scrambling since the date mixture will be hot.
- Repeat this until about half of the date filling has been added to the eggs.
- Whisk the egg mixture into the remaining date filling in the pot until a smooth paste forms.
- Pour the filling into the semi-baked pie crust. Arrange the pecans in the design of your choosing on top of the pie.
- Bake the pie for 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is fairly firm and the pecans are golden.
Share This Recipe: